WUZZ Line 1-800-397-9633

Tuesday February 12 2013

Feed(s): 

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2013

DEADLY HIT AND RUN

STATE POLICE IN CENTRE COUNTY ARE INVESTIGATING A FATAL PEDESTRIAN HIT AND RUN THAT HAPPENED BETWEEN 2:30 AND 4:15 THIS MORNING. RIGHT NOW, ALL LANES OF I-99 ARE CLOSED…BOTH NORTH AND SOUTHBOUND…BETWEEN EXIT 73/THE ROUTE 322 EAST EXIT IN COLLEGE TOWNSHIP AND THE TOFTREES EXIT IN PATTON TOWNSHIP. ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE TRAVELED ALONG I-99 DURING THAT TIME SHOULD CALL TROOPERS AT 355-75-45. THE VICTIM IS A 32 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO WAS LAST SEEN AT THE BENNER PIKE SHEETZ STORE AT 2:15AM. HER NAME HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED.

BISHOP WAS SHOCKED

POPE BENEDICT THE 16TH STUNNED THE WORLD YESTERDAY WHEN HE ANNOUNCED THAT HE’S STEPPING DOWN AT THE END OF THE MONTH, DUE TO HIS ADVANCING AGE AND DECLINING HEALTH. ALTOONA-JOHNSTOWN DIOCESE SPOKESMAN TONY DEGOL SAYS LOCAL BISHOP MARK BARTCHAK WAS SHOCKED TO HEAR THE NEWS. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME A POPE HAS STEPPED DOWN SINCE THE 14-HUNDREDS. THERE WILL BE A SPECIAL MASS CELEBRATED AT THE CATHEDRAL OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT IN ALTOONA ON THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 28TH, AT NOON. THE ENTIRE CATHOLIC COMMUNITY IS INVITED TO ATTEND. THE COLLEGE OF CARDINALS IS EXPECTED TO ELECT A NEW POPE BEFORE EASTER, WHICH IS MARCH 31ST. LOCAL DIOCESE SPOKESMAN TONY DEGOL SAYS A DELEGATION FROM ALTOONA-JOHNSTOWN IS PLANNING A TRIP TO ITALY THIS SUMMER AND COULD MEET THE NEW PONTIFF.

SANDUSKY SCANDAL

SUE PATERNO APPEARED ON KATIE COURIC’S SYNDICATED DAYTIME TALK SHOW YESTERDAY TO TALK ABOUT THE PATERNO FAMILY’S INVESTIGATION INTO THE FREEH REPORT. JOE PATERNO’S WIDOW SAID SHE GOT PHYSICALLY SICK WHEN SHE HEARD ABOUT THE ALLEGATIONS AGAINST JERRY SANDUSKY AND SHE WAS SHOCKED THAT THE FREEH REPORT BLAMED PATERNO AND OTHER HIGH RANKING PENN STATE OFFICIALS FOR COVERING UP THE ABUSE. SHE ALSO TOLD COURIC THAT JOE PATERNO DID AS MUCH AS HE COULD IN 2001, WHEN HE TOLD HIS BOSSES THAT MIKE MCQUEARY HAD REPORTED THAT SANDUSKY WAS IN A SHOWER WITH A YOUNG BOY. SHE POINTED OUT THAT SANDUSKY HAD BEEN VETTED BY EXPERTS BEFORE HE ADOPTED AND FOSTERED CHILDREN…AND SHE SAID THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE SECOND MILE IS A CHILD PSYCHOLOGIST. 3 OF THE PATERNO’S CHILDREN ALSO TALKED ABOUT THEIR FATHER ON THE SHOW. FORMER PRESIDENT GRAHAM SPANIER…FORMER VICE PRESIDENT GARY SCHULTZ…AND FORMER ATHLETIC DIRECTOR TIM CURLEY ARE CURRENTLY AWAITING TRIAL.

NOW THAT THE PATERNO FAMILY’S REPORT IS OUT, PENN STATE TRUSTEE ALVIN CLEMENS SAYS THE BOARD SHOULD TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT THE CONCLUSIONS IN THE FREEH REPORT. CLEMENS THINKS THE PATERNO FAMILY’S ANALYSIS “RAISES A NUMBER OF EXTREMELY SERIOUS AND TROUBLING QUESTIONS” ABOUT THE FREEH REPORT, WHICH CONCLUDED THAT JOE PATERNO HELPED COVER UP JERRY SANDUSKY’S ABUSE OF CHILDREN. NO COMMENT FROM PENN STATE OFFICIALS.

LAWYER KENNETH FEINBERG TELLS THE CENTRE DAILY TIMES THAT PENN STATE HAS RECEIVED SETTLEMENT OFFERS FROM ABOUT 25 MEN WHO CLAIM THEY WERE ABUSED BY JERRY SANDUSKY. FEINBERG…WHO IS OVERSEEING THE NEGOTIATIONS… DECLINED TO GIVE ANY SPECIFICS. THE UNIVERSITY IS HOPING TO SETTLE THE CASES BY THE END OF THE YEAR.

DEATH RULED SUICIDE

STATE POLICE IN BEDFORD COUNTY HAVE DETERMINED THAT A 27 YEAR OLD MAN FROM THE DETROIT AREA COMMITTED SUICIDE LAST MONTH. HIS BODY WAS FOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF A SILO ON THE BEDFORD COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY’S PROPERTY. THE MAN HAD APPARENTLY ATTENDED THE PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION…THEN GOTTEN OFF A GREYHOUND BUS IN BEDFORD.

SCASD TAX HIKE?

2 MEMBERS WERE ABSENT, SO THE STATE COLLEGE SCHOOL BOARD LAST NIGHT POSTPONED VOTING ON A BUDGET FOR THE COMING SCHOOL YEAR. ON FEBRUARY 18TH, THE BOARD WILL CONSIDER A 3-POINT-2 PERCENT TAX INCREASE TO BALANCE THE 120 MILLION DOLLAR SPENDING PLAN. THAT WOULD COST THE AVERAGE HOMEOWNER 85 DOLLARS.

THE BOARD ALSO APPROVED OPENING UP THE BIDDING PROCESS FOR NEW VISITING SIDE BLEACHERS AT MEMORIAL FIELD…AND THEY HOPE THE SEATS ARE READY BY THIS FALL. THE PROJECT WILL ALSO INCLUDE 2 NEW RETAINING WALLS AND A NEW FENCE ALONG FRASER STREET. OFFICIALS ESTIMATE THE PROJECT WILL COST 2-POINT-1 MILLION DOLLARS.

DIGGING OUT CONNECTICUT

GOVERNOR TOM CORBETT GAVE THE AUTHORIZATION…AND SOME PENNDOT CREWS ARE IN CONNECTICUT TO HELP RESIDENTS RECOVER FROM THE WEEKEND'S BLIZZARD. CONNECTICUT WAS DECLARED A STATE OF EMERGENCY SUNDAY AFTER ABOUT 40 INCHES OF SNOW WAS RECORDED IN THE TOWN OF HAMDEN. PENNDOT ALSO SENT OUT 3 MASSIVE SNOW BLOWERS AND 3 TRACTORTRAILERS. THE CREWS ARE EXPECTED BACK HOME LATER THIS WEEK.